Rain and water damage: how to protect your home – with Hubby tips!
After years of drought, many parts of Australia are now being inundated by record levels of rainfall – not surprising for a land of droughts and flooding rains. So, now is the perfect time to inspect your home to prevent water damage.
There’s not much you can do to prevent water damage caused by flooding or severe weather, but you can protect your home against other forms of water damage.
Conducting a routine check of areas prone to water damage means you’re more likely to catch problems early before they cost you a lot of money in repairs. Ignoring water damage in the hope it will magically go away when the rain stops can result in mould growth and pose a serious health risk.
Our Hubbies recommend carrying out regular inspections of the following areas to protect your home against water damage:
- Check your roof for leaks, cracked tiles and openings
- Ensure gutters and downspouts are clear and free of leaves and debris
- Check your fridge, dishwasher, washing machine and sinks for leaks and damaged hoses and pipes
- Inspect caulking in your bathroom around the tub and sink and ensure it is sealed
- If you notice water stains on a wall this is an indication of a broken pipe or leaking plumbing somewhere in the area.
If you notice water damage the most important thing is to act quickly as many water damaged areas or pieces of furniture can be salvaged and repaired if caught in time
While fixing water damaged areas in your home is important, if you don’t find the source of the problem and repair it the water damage will return.
Remember – prevention is better than cure and being proactive can save you money. If you notice water damage and can’t find the source of the problem call Hire A Hubby to help.